Simple IT made complex

Dryerr's blog

Archive for November 2010

Back on the horse

leave a comment »

Yeah, I finally posted again after a pretty long break. Checking the stats, I’m getting a suprisingly high amount of visitors each day, considering the only way in here is pretty much through some search engine, so I’m hoping the first posts has been of use to somebody.

The goal of this blog, is to post solutions and information on topics I’m having a hard time finding anything about, and that way help other people who is in a similar situation as I was at some point.
At the same time, I enjoy writing this stuff, but I try to keep my standards high, and because of that, it takes quite a while to write a post.

A few days a go, a guy called Praveen actually posted a comment on this blog. When I read it and thought about the reasons why I created this blog, it inspired me to pick up writing again, and try to be better at posting stuff here. While I’m not the guy to admit this easily, comments like that means the world to me, it’s nice to know that the work I put into something, was useful for someone else 🙂

I’m not sure if a lot of the hopefully upcoming posts will be about VMWare, as I usually do most of my work on Windows servers. I have some basic home made powershell scripts that I feel might be great to post more about in a near future.

Advertisements

Written by dryerr

November 10, 2010 at 22:22

Posted in Misc

Outlook 2011 not working with Exchange 2010

with 70 comments

A colleague of mine was setting up a customer for Exchange 2010. Everything was set up like it should be, Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 clients worked like a charm. This customer also has a few Macs running Office 2011, where Outlook unfortunately refused to do anything (literally). When he put in the information for the Exchange server, nothing happened. It would just sit at an empty mailbox, no connection errors, no authentication errors, nothing. Let me be honest and say that at my company, we’re not exactly good when it comes to Macs, we’re actually quite horrible. Anyways, we struggled a long time as we kept getting no feedback on the process from the Mac. The solution? Keep reading!

The solution

When we finally found the solution, it was a fairly basic one. Outlook 2011 doesn’t use MAPI, it relies solely on EWS (Exchange Web Services). When we tried to browse https://my.exchange.server/EWS/exchange.asmx via a browser on the Mac, it wouldn’t prompt for any credentials, just show a blank page, where a Windows computer would actually show something useful. Then we checked the authentication allowed for EWS in IIS. It was set to allow Anonymous Authentication (this is required by the Exchange server) and Windows Authentication. Obviously you need to authenticate to pull anything useful out of this service, and, for perhaps pretty obvious reasons, the Mac wasn’t using Windows Authentication. We enabled Basic Authentication and it started working immediately on the Mac. If you want to make sure it’s updated fast, do a iisreset from a command line.

These images should tell you everything.

Fire up your IIS manager, find EWS (in this case in the Default Web Site), open Authentication.

 

Enable this bad boy and you're set. Do a iisreset if you're impatient... like me.

There’s a lot more to this story than just the above steps, it felt as an uphill battle the entire time, but I won’t bore you with all the troubleshooting we did (even though I already did a little).

Written by dryerr

November 10, 2010 at 21:44